The State of Illinois Invitational High School Marching Band Championship, held on the campus of Illinois State University and called on some band websites the state championship, which it is not, today named Marian Catholic High School from Chicago Heights the grand champion once again, Illinois Marching Online tweeted.
Voxitatis will update this story as more information becomes available.
Winning their respective class competitions were Marian Catholic in Class 3A and the following bands:
- In Class 1A, Eureka High School (1A–4A full recap)
- In Class 2A, Morton High School
- In Class 4A, John Hersey High School in Arlington Heights
- In Class 5A, Prospect High School in Mt Prospect (5A–6A full recap)
- In Class 6A, Lincoln-Way Marching Band from New Lenox and Frankfort
The Lincoln-Way Marching Band, which also won the caption trophy for outstanding general effect in Class 6A, is a combined program, made up of students from Lincoln-Way Central, Lincoln-Way East, and Lincoln-Way West high schools.
In all, 45 bands took the field at Hancock Stadium in this 52nd annual marching band invitational.
Marian Catholic has won the grand championship at this festival a total of 18 times, with this year’s win being the eighth in a row. The band has also won the championship in their enrollment class 37 times in a row, including this year’s championship.