In Illinois, 34 high school football teams are undefeated after their eighth game last weekend and go into the final week of the regular season with high hopes.
- Anna (A.-Jonesboro) d. Benton (5-4), 62-28, Fri.
- Antioch d. Grayslake (North) (6-3), 14-7, Fri.
- Barrington d. Hoffman Estates (Conant) (1-8), 40-19, Fri.
- Batavia (8-1) lost to St. Charles (North) (8-1), 28-35, Fri.
- Bridgeport (Red Hill) d. Flora (3-6), 38-0, Fri.
- Byron d. Winnebago (6-3), 50-6, Fri.
- Carlinville (8-1) lost to Greenville (7-2), 28-35, Fri.
- Carrollton (8-1) lost to Camp Point (Central) (7-2), 28-34, Fri.
- Chicago (Marist) d. Joliet (Catholic Academy) (3-6), 14-7, Fri.
- Chicago (Phillips) d. Chicago (Clark) (3-6), 53-0, Fri.
- Crystal Lake (Prairie Ridge) d. Carpentersville (Dundee-Crown) (1-8), 55-14, Fri.
- Dixon (H.S.) (8-1) lost to Poplar Grove (North Boone) (7-2), 47-48, Fri.
- Dunlap d. Canton (5-4), 35-7, Fri.
- Fairfield d. Sesser (S.-Valier) [Coop] (8-1), 18-6, Fri.
- Farmington d. Lewistown (3-6), 46-14, Fri.
- Frankfort (Lincoln-Way East) d. Bolingbrook (7-2), 18-14, Fri.
- Gibson City (G.C.-Melvin-Sibley) d. Heyworth (1-8), 53-0, Sat.
- Hamilton [West Hancock Coop] d. Bismarck-Henning-Rossville-Alvin (6-3), 38-28, Sat.
- Herscher (8-1) lost to Peotone (8-1), 28-35, Fri.
- Highland d. Charleston (0-9), 63-6, Fri.
- Johnsburg d. Marengo (2-7), 43-6, Fri.
- Lake Zurich d. Mundelein (H.S.) (2-7), 42-14, Fri.
- Lena (L.-Winslow) d. Dakota (7-2), 55-7, Fri.
- Normal (Community) d. Champaign (Central) (2-7), 50-21, Fri.
- Rochester d. Springfield (H.S.) (5-4), 49-16, Fri.
- Rockton (Hononegah) d. Machesney Park (Harlem) (5-4), 21-9, Fri.
- Sesser (S.-Valier) [Coop] (8-1) lost to Fairfield (9-0), 6-18, Fri.
- Sterling (H.S.) d. DeKalb (7-2), 31-3, Fri.
- Sterling (Newman Central Catholic) d. Port Byron (Riverdale) (3-6), 51-0, Fri.
- Tolono (Unity) (8-1) lost to Bloomington (Central Catholic) (8-1), 13-35, Fri.
- Trenton (Wesclin) d. Robinson (2-7), 47-7, Fri.
- Tuscola d. Sullivan [S.-Okaw Valley Coop] (0-9), 68-10, Fri.
- Westville d. Georgetown (G.-Ridge Farm) (3-6), 56-13, Fri.
- Williamsville d. Athens (7-2), 28-0, Fri.
A maximum of 33 teams will finish the season undefeated, because Fairfield hosted Sesser-Valier Coop, two of the 34 undefeated teams, in a game tonight at the “Train Yard.”
The game itself was tight, even into the fourth quarter, with Fairfield defeating Black Diamond Conference opponent Sesser-Valier, 18-6. Sesser-Valier came close, marching down to the Mules’ 10-yard line just as the third quarter ended. On the first play of the fourth, however, a pass was intercepted and momentum swung over to Fairfield and never went back Sesser-Valier’s way. Adding insult to injury for playoff-bound Sesser-Valier, a 70-yard pass completion with just a few minutes left in the game was called back on a holding penalty.
The victory for the Mules, closing out the season, led to Fairfield’s first undefeated regular season since 1957. What a game it was! And just as the final seconds ticked off the clock, just as people filed out of this Train Yard home field, a locomotive pulled a train through, blowing its horn, a 125-ton noisemaker for the party.