Here’s the last round of musicals in the 2015-16 school year in Illinois high schools. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us about a missing musical during May in Illinois, and we’ll update this list. Information on this page is derived from widely varying sources and generally can’t be confirmed. All information is subject to change without notice.
High school musicals in Illinois during April 2016
- Charleston, Shrek, May 5–7
- Rolling Meadows, Legally Blonde, May 4–7
- Glenbard North, Carol Stream, Mary Poppins, May 5–7
- Metea Valley, Aurora, The Addams Family, May 5–7
- Manteno, Shrek, May 6–8
- Morrison, Shrek, May 6–8
- Rockridge, Taylor Ridge, The Sound of Music, May 5–8
- Richards, Oak Lawn, Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, May 11–14
- Lockport Township, Lockport, The Sound of Music, May 12–15
Musical productions in high schools often include the hard work of hundreds of students, teachers, and other community members. We write about them in support of new federal legislation in the Every Student Succeeds Act, which directs schools to include music and the arts as part of a “well-rounded education” for students in the US. Even before ESSA, though, Illinois Learning Standards in the fine arts have supported the production of musicals in our schools, including 25.B.5 [Understand how different art forms combine to create an interdisciplinary work (e.g., musical theatre, opera or cinematography)] and 26.B.5 [Create and perform a complex work of art using a variety of techniques, technologies and resources and independent decision making], among others.