Among high schools, some musicals are more popular than others, although the companies that license the performances try to limit the number of performances of the same musical within a certain radius. Such was the case at El Paso-Gridley High School in Central Illinois.
The high school was originally slated to perform The Addams Family on September 17 and 18, but due to construction delays on the school’s auditorium, the school had to reschedule the musical to Thursday and Friday, November 3 and 4.
“I have notified Theatrical Rights and they were to notify our Show Ready system providers,” wrote John Stafford, the musical’s director, in an email message. “When I talked to the Theatrical Rights representative, they said that we were free and clear to use that date as no one else in our area had requested it.”
Musicals don’t get going full strength until the spring, but quite a few schools put musicals on the stage in the fall or in both the fall and spring. This enormously popular musical is already slated for performances this spring at Deerfield, Downers Grove North, Johnsburg, and West Chicago high schools in Illinois and at Linganore High School in Frederick, Maryland. But even before the winter break, the musical has attained quite a docket.
In Illinois unless otherwise specified
- Easton HS, Easton, Maryland, The Addams Family, Oct. 21–30 (2 wknds.)
- Oak Lawn Community HS, Spamalot, Oct. 27–29
- Henry Senachwine HS, Henry, All Shook Up, Oct. 27–30
- Illini Bluffs HS, Glasford, The Addams Family, Oct. 28–30
- Vernon Hills HS, The Addams Family, Oct. 28–Nov. 5 (2 wknds.)
- El Paso-Gridley HS, El Paso, The Addams Family, Nov. 3–4
- Libertyville HS, In the Heights, Nov. 3–5
- Rosary, Aurora, Into the Woods, Nov. 3–6
- Conant, Hoffman Estates, Annie, Nov. 3–5
- Homewood-Flossmoor HS, Flossmoor, Spamalot, Nov. 10–12
- Carver Center for Arts & Tech, Towson, Maryland, Man of La Mancha, Nov. 10–13
- Meridian Senior HS, Macon, Ghost, Nov. 11–12
- Mother McAuley HS, Chicago, Footloose, Nov. 16–20
- Bradley-Bourbonnais HS, Bradley, Beauty & the Beast, Nov. 17–19
- Walt Whitman HS, Bethesda, Maryland, Jesus Christ Superstar, Nov. 17–19
- Adlai E Stevenson HS, Lincolnshire, Big Fish, Nov. 18–20
- Trinity HS, River Forest, Cinderella, Nov. 18–20
- Bond County Community Unit 2 HS, Greenville, White Christmas, Dec. 2–10 (2 wknds.)
- Elk Grove HS, Elk Grove Village, Seussical, Dec. 7–10
- Illini West HS, Carthage, Aaaargh! A Pirate’s Christmas, Dec. 19
Early in the school year, as we are, many schools don’t know what musicals they’ll be performing yet, and our sources get the information from licensing agreements the schools sign with the rights management companies. We will update this page as soon as possible.
With that in mind, please post a comment here if your Illinois or Maryland high school is performing a musical before the winter break. We’ll add it to the list.