Full coverage: here (pics included).
The Illinois State Board of Education announced the eight finalists for the state’s Teacher of the Year on Sept. 17, the agency’s Web site says. The finalists were chosen based on recommendations as well as a personal interview. In alphabetical order, they are
- Melissa Angeles, a science teacher at Hononegah Community High School in Hononegah Community High School District 207
- Annice Brave, an English and journalism teacher at Alton High School in Alton Community Unit School District 11
- Dennis Brown, a journalism and social studies teacher at Huntley High School in Huntley Consolidated School District 158
- Jennifer Jarden, a sixth-grade language arts teacher at Trimpe Middle School in Bethalto Community School District 8
- Leanne Jebens, a kindergarten teacher at Christa McAuliffe School in Kirby School District 140
- Kimberly Radostits, a Spanish teacher at Oregon High School in Oregon Community Unit School District 220
- Susan Thomas, a social studies teacher at Centennial High School in Champaign Unit 4 School District
- Trish Vanderploeg, an eighth-grade English teacher at Plum Grove Junior High in Community Cons. School Dist. 15
The Illinois Teacher of the Year will be announced at the state’s annual “Those Who Excel” banquet on Oct. 16 in Peoria.