State education leaders in our two home states, Maryland and Illinois, have finished announcing the list of finalists for their respective Teachers of the Year.
Illinois has 10 finalists
The Illinois State Board of Education announced the finalists for the 2018 Illinois Teacher of the Year on August 21. The ISBE will name one individual from the 10 finalists as the 2018 Illinois Teacher of the Year during the “Those Who Excel” banquet on October 28.
“The Those Who Excel program honors and celebrates some of Illinois’s most exemplary teachers at every level,” said State Superintendent of Education Tony Smith. “Every student deserves to feel like they belong. Our 10 Teacher of the Year finalists are outstanding representatives of educators who continuously go above and beyond to make students feel well known and well cared for. Their level of commitment, their passion, and their dedication is evident in their strong relationships with students, colleagues, and families within their communities.”
- Valarie Berger teaches family and consumer sciences at West Leyden High School in Franklin Park (Leyden High School District 212)
- James Connelly is an industrial technology teacher at Morton West High School in Berwyn, (J Sterling Morton High School District 201)
- Teresa Eden is a Title 1 reading teacher at Monroe Center Grade School in Monroe Center (Meridian Community Unit School District 223)
- William Farmer teaches biology and chemistry at Evanston Township High School in Evanston (District 202)
- Lindsey Jensen teaches English at Dwight Township High School in Dwight (Dwight Public Schools District 230)
- Erin Miller is a fourth-grade teacher at Brimfield Grade School in Brimfield (Brimfield Unit District 309)
- Jamie Nash-Mayberry teaches social studies at Shawnee High School in Wolf Lake (Shawnee Community Unit School District 84)
- Angie Noble is a third-grade teacher at Jerseyville East Elementary School in Jerseyville (Jersey Community Unit School District 100)
- Faith Skinner teaches math in sixth grade at Emily G Johns School in Plano (Plano Community Unit School District 88)
- Morgan Teske is a special education teacher in grades 9-12 at East High School in Rockford (Rockford Public School District 205)
Maryland has seven finalists
Karen Salmon, the Maryland state superintendent of schools, announced the names of seven finalists for 2017-2018 Maryland Teacher of the Year yesterday.
“Maryland teachers continue to strive for excellence and the work that these exceptional educators demonstrate reflects the dedication present in educators throughout the State,” she said. “Our state’s educators provide our students with guidance and knowledge that reach far past the classroom and promote life-long learning.”
- Joshua Carroll teaches 10th grade STEM subjects at South River High School in Edgewater (Anne Arundel County Public Schools)
- Maddy Halbach teaches financial literacy to 11th and 12th graders at the Academy of Finance in Ellicott City (Howard County Public Schools)
- Justin Holbrook is a fourth-grade math and science teacher at Roland Park Elementary/Middle School in Baltimore (Baltimore City Public Schools)
- Amy E Mangold is a pre-K and kindergarten special education teacher at John Archer School in Bel Air (Harford County Public Schools)
- Keith McHugh is an English teacher at Century High School in Sykesville (Carroll County Public Schools)
- Heather Roth is an elementary music teacher at Broad Ford and Crellin elementary schools in Oakland (Garrett County Public Schools)
- Katie Fox is a kindergarten teacher at Tilghman Elementary School on Tilghman Island (Talbot County Public Schools)
As with the Illinois Teacher of the Year, the winner will go on to compete for the National Teacher of the Year Award, which will be announced in April. The Maryland State Department of Education will announce the state’s Teacher of the Year on October 27 in Baltimore.