The Class 2A girls’ tennis state championship tournament concluded yesterday at Buffalo Grove High School, and Hinsdale Central High School came from behind to take the team title, the school’s fourth in a row, the Chicago Tribune reports.
According to our IHSA state championship database, it’s also the school’s ninth title since the 2006-07 school year. Lake Forest won it in the fall seasons of 2010 and 2012, and the two schools shared the title in 2013. Hinsdale Central now has 17 girls’ tennis state championship trophies on the shelf.
- Hinsdale Central — 17 state titles in girls’ tennis
- New Trier in Winnetka — 8 (plus 1 for New Trier West in Northfield)
- Oak Park-River Forest — 6
- Lake Forest — 5
- Lyons Township in LaGrange — 3
- 2 titles — Champaign Centennial & West Aurora
- 1 title — Naperville Central, Homewood-Flossmoor, & Deerfield
Lyons Township in LaGrange and Stevenson in Lincolnshire tied for second place in the state 2A championship, just a few points behind Hinsdale Central, which passed Stevenson on the last day of competition. Glenbard West in Glen Ellyn finished in fourth place, while Edwardsville High School took fifth.
Highland Park and New Trier in Winnetka tied for sixth place, and Evanston Township and Glenbrook North from Northbrook tied for eighth place, with Palatine High School coming in 10th for the Class 2A competition at the state level.
In Class 1A—this is the first year the girls’ tennis championship is split into classes—Benet Academy in Lisle took the title, with Joliet Catholic Academy finishing just one point behind and taking the 1A runner-up trophy. Three teams tied for third: Bloomington Central Catholic, the Latin School of Chicago, and Alleman Catholic in Rock Island.
Finishing out the top 10 in Class 1A were:
- University (of Chicago) High
- Boylan Catholic in Rockford
- Althoff Catholic in Belleville
- University in Normal
- Wheaton Academy in West Chicago